Today, we’re announcing the general availability of our connected infrastructure and application performance monitoring (APM) solution—an observability experience that allows you to correlate your performance across infrastructure, APM, and the rest of your stack to remediate problems faster than ever, without swiveling between tools. And New Relic consumption-based pricing eliminates peak billing and predatory pricing practices of other observability vendors, allowing you to consolidate all of your telemetry data onto a single observability platform at 1/3rd the cost.
The GA release delivers a series of enhancements that help you to solve problems even faster! Updates include the ability to view the performance of your hosts in the summary tab, with filtering options for both Infra and APM. To make it faster and easier to see what you care about most, saved views gives you one-click access to the filters and metrics you use the most.
Eliminate screen swivels and data silos
- Integrated infrastructure experiences inside APM: View CPU and memory for hosts, containers, and VMs within APM to instantly identify under-provisioned resources that are impacting apps.
- At-a-glance estate and impact view: See the status and count of hosts, apps, events, and alerts activity to understand overall system health. And with embedded change tracking, easily detect application deployment impacts to host performance.
- In-context application health: Dynamic charts provide host- and APM-specific metrics to correlate drops in performance across infrastructure and the apps running on them.
- Related Entities Automap: Quickly identify the impacts to related infrastructure components and services during performance degradations using a visual map.
Eliminate peak billing and paying 3x the costs
- Up to 1/3rd the cost of competitors: Consumption-based pricing with no additional charges for custom metrics provides up to 3x the value of Datadog.
- No peak billing: Pay only for what you use and avoid Datadog’s high watermark (peak) usage billing when environments scale up.
- Consistent per-GB pricing: Datadog charges for custom metrics separately and at a higher rate than host-based prices, resulting in invoices with surprise costs and penalties.
Eliminate screen swivel and data silos
Applications rely on healthy, performant, and scalable infrastructure, but using different tools to monitor applications and infrastructure performance creates data silos that prevent you from understanding how the layers of your stack impact each other. Moving between tools and data silos can be time-consuming and prohibitively expensive, and ultimately prevents you from quickly debugging issues before they’ve impacted your customers.
APM UI updates
The new infrastructure monitoring experience connects the dots across your hosts and services, and embeds these new performance data in the APM and infrastructure monitoring UIs. It helps you navigate seamlessly up and down your stack, so you can easily identify and analyze the interaction between your hosts and the applications running on top of them.
- CPU and memory for hosts, containers, and VMs: See how your infrastructure is performing for each service, making it fast and simple to identify under-provisioned resources that are impacting your services.
- Related entities automap: Easily identify connected entities, their performance, and anomalous behavior over time. With Timewarp, you can step backward in time and understand how an issue has propagated through the architecture, enabling you to track it back to where and when it started.
Infrastructure monitoring UI that's brand new
This release brings an entirely new infrastructure experience with opinionated workflows. When you select a host, VM, or container in the APM UI, you’ll be taken to the new infrastructure experience that is scoped to only show data for the service you’re investigating, helping you debug even faster.
- In-context application health: Dynamic charts provide host- and APM-specific metrics to correlate drops in performance across infrastructure and the applications running on them.
- At-a-glance estate view: See the status and count of hosts, applications, and events (dynamically adjusted as data is filtered), along with an alerts activity stream to understand overall system health.
- Embedded change tracking: Analyze how application deployments impact host performance, with change tracking embedded directly in the new infrastructure experience.
- Filter suggestions: Filter hosts by attributes and compare their performance with inventory change events to determine root causes, with alert notifications to proactively prevent problems.
Existing infrastructure monitoring capabilities
If you’re new to New Relic or our infrastructure monitoring solution, in addition to the exciting new capabilities above, the existing capabilities below make monitoring your infrastructure easy.
- Lookout: View entities that deviate from normal behavior with signals (ex: throughput, response time, and errors), and identify unusual trends or behaviors.
- Navigator: Explore large numbers of entities with a view that shows your entire estate in a honeycomb view with traffic light colors based on alerts.
- Inventory–software monitoring: Assess current software settings across your hosts, identify configuration drift in your fleet, and uncover outdated software or problematic settings.
- Changes to infrastructure events: Correlate recent host activity with changes in behavior. Monitor host and config changes to reduce the impacts on the health and behavior of your applications.
- Network, process, and storage tabs are specifically filtered to group data and correlate with the host entity.
Stop paying for peak billing and 3x the costs
No peak billing
The chart below from our underlying spreadsheet demonstrates how a representative customer’s bill can be much higher than the commitment, since Datadog charges per host at the 99% highest usage hour for the month. Conversely, New Relic bills for actual usage at a low price per GB, saving you money and making it affordable for you to monitor your entire estate without making tradeoffs.
Auto-scaling penalties with Datadog
Consistent per-GB pricing
Many teams have standardized on New Relic due to the simplicity around pricing all telemetry sources at the same rate—without any penalties or hidden costs buried in the contract terms. Alternate pricing models, such as those of Datadog or Dynatrace, charge separately for custom metrics and third-party data at a cost that’s higher than their standard (host-based) pricing.
And it doesn’t end there. Combining infrastructure monitoring and APM costs shows that New Relic provides 5x+ the value of Datadog and 2x+ the value of Dynatrace for large teams. This analysis is based on publicly available list prices, with additional details and assumptions regarding these calculations.
Sample APM and infra monthly cost by engineering team size1
|Small team||New Relic $1,291||Dynatrace $2,656||Datadog $6,303|
|Midsize team3||New Relic $5,732||Dynatrace$12,089||Datadog $21,965|
|Large team||New Relic $10,862||Dynatrace $24,857||Datadog $55,870|
Up to 1/3rd the cost of competitors
At $23/host with annual billing, or $27/host for monthly or on-demand billing, Datadog becomes prohibitively expensive as you scale, especially when factoring in additional charges for custom metrics and overages.1
The following table from our previous cost comparison illustrates a hypothetical example of how per-GB and per-user prices would factor into the New Relic bill, and provides a cost comparison with Datadog.
You can’t afford to spend 3x as much on infrastructure monitoring with Datadog, especially when doing so creates data silos that hold you back.
Infrastructure monitoring monthly cost for 10,000 hosts and 100 engineers1
|CostsHost cost||New Relic N/A||Datadog $230,000|
|CostsData ingest cost3||New Relic $39,000||Datadog N/A|
|CostsUser cost||New Relic $34,900||Datadog N/A|
|CostsTotal cost||New Relic $73,900||Datadog $230,000|
|Costs||New Relic~3x more value with New Relic||Datadog|
Start monitoring infrastructure easily with 200+ quickstarts
New Relic quickstarts bundle integrations with pre-built dashboards and alerting, making setup a breeze. You’ll find 200+ infrastructure quickstarts for servers, databases, message queues, and other infrastructure types, including over 130 quickstarts from hyperscalers like AWS, Google Cloud, and Microsoft Azure.
Quickstarts by category
- New Relic Customers: To get started, install the New Relic infrastructure monitoring agent and/or APM agents. Learn more by reading the documentation and best practices guide.
- New to New Relic: If you’re not currently using New Relic, sign up for free. Once you have a New Relic account, learn how to migrate from Datadog to New Relic.
The views expressed on this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of New Relic. Any solutions offered by the author are environment-specific and not part of the commercial solutions or support offered by New Relic. Please join us exclusively at the Explorers Hub (discuss.newrelic.com) for questions and support related to this blog post. This blog may contain links to content on third-party sites. By providing such links, New Relic does not adopt, guarantee, approve or endorse the information, views or products available on such sites.
1. All dollar amounts are in USD. Please refer to the linked spreadsheet for details and assumptions regarding these calculations.
2. Based on published price points at https://www.datadoghq.com/pricing as of December 8, 2021.
3. Calculation includes an assumption of 13 GB of monthly ingest per host. The New Relic data ingest cost (standard retention) was updated on May 8, 2022, based on ingest pricing updates.