SAN FRANCISCO – May 17, 2011 – Today, New Relic announced the release of real user monitoring as part of its core SaaS application performance management offering. Effective immediately, all New Relic users will have free access to the new capability. Now, with over 10,000 active accounts reporting over 6 billion performance metrics per day, New Relic is the single, all-in-one performance analytics product that allows businesses to manage and monitor web application performance from the browser to the line of code.
- New Relic Real User Monitoring measures key front-end metrics from the moment a user request is initiated in the app, to the final loading of the resulting web page. It is one of the first commercial implementations of technology built on the Episodes framework for measuring web page load times developed by Steve Souders, the author of High Performance Web Sites.
- For each page request, New Relic captures network time, time in the application itself, and time spent rendering the web page. It also tracks the type and version of browser, operating system and geographic location of the user.
- Development and operations teams can now gain valuable, real-time insight into browser response time and measure user satisfaction from both the end-user and application perspectives, as well as determine if performance bottlenecks are located in the front-end, the application, or connected systems.
- New Relic Real User Monitoring is fully integrated with New Relic’s existing application performance management technology, offering a complete view of application performance in a single user interface that is easy to understand and use.
"By offering real user monitoring within our all-in-one SaaS offering for free, we are continuing our mission of disrupting the status quo within the application management industry. In the cloud-era, we believe traditional monitoring models are extinct. Our customers are looking for easy-to-use offerings that provide real-time views into their performance, and this product release extends their visibility to the end user within minutes of deployment."
-- Lew Cirne, founder and CEO, New Relic
"Current monitoring solutions take an outside-in approach to end-user monitoring, relying on synthetic transactions and pingers to approximate user behavior. These approaches can be good for telling you if you site is up at 3 am in a distant part of the world, but they are no substitute for the ability to tell you what users are actually doing, and we are delivering that capability today."
-- Lew Cirne, founder and CEO, New Relic
"With the addition of Real User Monitoring as a core capability of their solution, New Relic has taken a pivotal next step in the evolution of its on demand web application performance management service. As more and more organizations migrate to the cloud, providing deep visibility into applications and real user experiences becomes highly critical. The advantage of having an integrated offering that combines these capabilities can provide enormous value to development and operations teams, as well as the platform providers who all have a stake in app performance and end-user satisfaction."
-- Rona Shuchat, program director, application outsourcing services, IDC
"Web app builders and owners care about their user’s experience. The fact is, speed matters. Seeing exactly what real users are experiencing in a web app or web site provides tremendous value for both platform providers and their customers. New Relic lets any company gain critical visibility into web performance with immediate time to value."
-- Dries Buytaert, Co-creator Drupal, CTO Acquia
"It is very hard to predict how users will actually use your application. When you create and release a new feature, its almost impossible to know which use case will be the most popular. Real user monitoring from New Relic allows our developers to focus on the features that our users actually use. By doing so, we get faster and more agile as a company."
-- David Ting, VP of Engineering, IGN Entertainment
"As the leading cloud-based help desk, our competitive advantage is that we are the fastest way to enable great customer service. Since performance is so critical to the success of both Zendesk and our customers, we chose New Relic to optimize Zendesk and to prevent performance bottlenecks before they happen. Real User Monitoring is a real breakthrough."
-- Zack Urlocker, COO, Zendesk
Availability & Pricing
New Relic Real-User Monitoring is available today and the capability is automatically included in all New Relic editions at no extra cost. Customers need to simply upgrade their agent to the latest release.
- Read Lew’s post on the New Relic Blog
- Check out our video with 37 Signals, Acquia, CloudBees, Engine Yard, IGN and Zendesk
- Signup for New Relic with Real-User Monitoring.
- View screenshots of the New Relic’s Real-User Monitoring dashboard and breakdown by Geography.
About New Relic
New Relic provides the real-time insights that software-driven businesses need to innovate faster. New Relic’s cloud platform makes every aspect of modern software and infrastructure observable, so companies can find and fix problems faster, build high-performing DevOps teams, and speed up transformation projects. Learn why more than 50% of the Fortune 100 trust New Relic at newrelic.com.
Social Media Links : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | LinkedIn
New Relic is a registered trademark of New Relic, Inc.
All product and company names herein may be trademarks of their registered owners.
Media ContactAndrew Schmitt
New Relic, Inc.
Investor ContactJonathan Parker
New Relic, Inc.