New Relic Announces New Cloud Platform Capabilities to Deliver Performance Data and Efficiency to Software Teams
Updates to New Relic APM, New Relic Synthetics, and New Relic Mobile to Further Data-Driven Decision Making for Enterprises
Software analytics company New Relic, Inc. (NYSE:NEWR) announced today new capabilities and features across the New Relic Software Analytics Cloud which have been designed to help companies build and run better software. These updates to the New Relic cloud-based platform and products (New Relic APM, New Relic Synthetics, and New Relic Mobile) aim to help developers and IT operations teams better understand the performance of their applications and underlying services, be more responsive to and anticipate issues, and be more agile to deliver new functionality.
“Software powers business, so we see it as critical for every company to have visibility and ask questions about the health of their business in real-time. These updates to New Relic expand the platform’s analytics capabilities and aim to remove the friction associated with advanced performance analysis. They also enhance the extensibility of the platform through open APIs,” said Jim Gochee, Chief Product Officer, New Relic. “We’re also thrilled to announce new capabilities for our APM, Synthetics, and Mobile products that we believe will help our customers be more effective building and operating their digital initiatives.”
New capabilities across the integrated products and platform of the New Relic Software Analytics Cloud include:
New Relic open cloud platform capabilities
● MongoDB Support. New Relic now supports and has been MongoDB Enterprise certified for Ruby, with other language agents expected to follow, for MongoDB’s most recent official drivers and new APM API. The MongoDB integration with New Relic, published and supported by MongoDB, sends performance data to both a pre-configured New Relic Plugins dashboard, and to New Relic Insights for more flexible analysis, extending the benefits of software analytics to database monitoring.
● New Alerts API. DevOps teams will be able to better integrate New Relic Alerts configuration into their continuous integration toolchain, such as Puppet and Chef. For example, alert policies can be created or updated as new application instances and servers are deployed or terminated. Public beta opens today for this new Alerts API.
● API Explorer. Bringing together all of New Relic’s APIs into one consolidated location, API Explorer is designed to bring greater efficiency for DevOps and operations teams implementing increased automation in their software management.
● Admin User's API keys. Teams now have the option to issue separate API credentials to each New Relic account administrator, bringing improved control over usage of the New Relic API for metric data queries, alerting configurations, and more.
New Relic APM
● Asynchronous Framework Support. Customers utilizing New Relic's Java agent can now visualize asynchronous activity for Play 2.4, core Akka, Scala, Netty, and AsyncHttpClient. Updates to the New Relic APM interface now separate the total amount of activity, which may be running concurrently, distinct from the response time. This is designed to let customers gain more insight to effectively manage and optimize concurrent activity within their application. This capability is now generally available.
New Relic Synthetics
● Private Locations. New Relic Synthetics now offers Private Locations, enabling you to set up synthetic monitors in any location. A VMware virtual appliance, Private Locations lets you run synthetic monitoring scripts to continually track an application’s performance within any critical market, even if no actual users are accessing that application.
● New Relic Synthetics Mobile App. New Relic Synthetics is now included in New Relic’s iOS and Android applications. Because operations teams often use synthetic monitoring to address the “3 a.m. problem”—detecting outages and application performance at any hour so issues can be discovered and resolved ahead of peak usage hours—mobile access to this data can be helpful for system administrators who need to troubleshoot while away from the office.
New Relic Mobile
● Version Trends. Opening in private beta, New Relic Mobile will enable mobile teams to benchmark their application’s user engagement and overall performance across versions, to help them better understand the effectiveness of each release and inform future development efforts.
"We built the MongoDB plugin because we had great interest from our customers in gaining visibility into the performance of their database within the context of their applications. New Relic's open platform enabled us to easily create this plugin that will allow our customers to understand their application at a granular level, draw correlations, and build better software through software analytics." - Sam Weaver, Product Manager for Developer Experience at MongoDB
“Capriza is a SaaS solution that allows enterprises to extend their legacy applications to mobility. As such, mobile-grade performance is critical for the adoption of our product. New Relic Synthetics has been extremely useful by enabling us to proactively monitor the performance of our service and identify issues before they impact our customers. We found the new Private Locations are very user friendly, easy to set-up, test scripts and effective in terms of understanding our service performance in our critical markets.” - Oren Ariel, CTO & co-founder at Capriza
Availability and Additional Resources
All New Relic updates above are generally available beginning today to customers, with the exceptions of:
● MongoDB plugin, which is expected to be released into private beta shortly.
● New Relic Alerts API, available in public beta.
● New Relic Synthetics Private Locations is generally available to New Relic Synthetics customers with free promotional pricing until February 1, 2016.
● New Relic Mobile Version Trends is available in private beta.
Additional information can be found on the New Relic Blog (MongoDB Plugin, API Updates, New Relic Synthetics, and New Relic Mobile Version Trends) and Documentation site (New Relic Alerts API, API Explorer, Admin User's API keys, New Relic APM Asynchronous Support, New Relic Synthetics Private Locations, and New Relic Synthetics Mobile Apps).
This press release contains “forward-looking” statements, as that term is defined under the federal securities laws, including but not limited to features of New Relic’s open cloud platform, New Relic APM, New Relic Synthetics and New Relic Mobile, including availability and potential benefits to customers. The achievement or success of the matters covered by such forward-looking statements are based on New Relic’s current assumptions, expectations, and beliefs and are subject to substantial risks, uncertainties, assumptions, and changes in circumstances that may cause New Relic’s actual results, performance, or achievements to differ materially from those expressed or implied in any forward-looking statement. Further information on factors that could affect New Relic’s financial and other results and the forward-looking statements in this press release is included in the filings we make with the SEC from time to time, including in New Relic’s most recent Form 10-Q, particularly under the captions “Risk Factors” and “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations.” Copies of these documents may be obtained by visiting New Relic’s Investor Relations website at http://ir.newrelic.com or the SEC's website at www.sec.gov. New Relic assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements, except as required by law.
About New Relic
As a leader in observability, New Relic empowers engineers with a data-driven approach to planning, building, deploying, and running great software. New Relic delivers the only unified data platform that empowers engineers to get all telemetry—metrics, events, logs, and traces—paired with powerful full stack analysis tools to help engineers do their best work with data, not opinions. Delivered through the industry’s first usage-based consumption pricing that’s intuitive and predictable, New Relic gives engineers more value for the money by helping improve planning cycle times, change failure rates, release frequency, and mean time to resolution. This helps the world’s leading brands including adidas Runtastic, American Red Cross, Australia Post, Banco Inter, Chegg, GoTo Group, Ryanair, Sainsbury’s, Signify Health, TopGolf, and World Fuel Services (WFS) improve uptime, reliability, and operational efficiency to deliver exceptional customer experiences that fuel innovation and growth. www.newrelic.com.